Improvement studies (Practice Facilities) initiated in 2014
One of greater Washington's most estemmed private clubs, Bethesda Country Club has a storied history and evolution. The land was originally purchased in 1913 and developed as Montgomery Country Club. At that time, there were no direct roads to the club, rather members had to gain access via train. In 1929, the club became known as the National Women's Country Club ehose membership was made up of first ladies, social leaders and a variety of dignitaries. The course was then but nine holes, yet the course was most popular - so favored that it was common for private planes to land on the property, enjoy golf and lunch and then depart. Planes would land near what is today's practice area. In 1934, The Washington Post procalimed that the club had the best nine-hole course in the country and that woment were having their revenge on men as a result! In 1945, the club became known as the Washington Aviation Country Club and continued to allow access via private planes to enjoy the golf and the added casino. Two years later, Bethesda Country Club Corporation purchased the site and would the expand to an 18-hole course by 1949.
The original nine holes were designed by Fred Findlay while Ed Ault added nine holes and reconfigured the routing as an 18-hole course. In 1992, Arthur Hills executed a complete renovation of the course.
Greater Washington Open - 1988
Mazda LPGA Championship - 1990