terre Haute, Indiana
Dating back to 1898 as The Terre Haute Golf Club, then to The Country Club of Terre Haute in 1900, the club moved to its current location in 1918 where a nine hole course was built. Like so many clubhouses of the era, this one burned to the ground in 1923 but was replaced in 1924-25 and an additional nine holes was constructed. Today the back nine holes are utilized as the front nine.
The course was designed by William 'Bill' Diddell, an Indianapolis native, who was also a founding member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects. Diddell was an accomplished athlete, active in four sports while at Wabash College, but surprisingly, golf was not offered there. An excellent golfer, nonetheless, he won the Indiana Amateur five times.
During his career, Diddell designed over 75 courses over a 50-year acreer - many of which were in the state of Indiana. He experimented with a bunkerless layout at his home course, Woodland Country Club in Carmel, In and developed a 'short' golf ball that traveled roughly half the distance of the normal ball.
Designed by William Diddell